The Sydney Chess Club is open to all players (adults and juniors) and the club houses players of all levels (beginners all the way to Masters). Each week chess players meet for regular competitive chess and/or social chess.
We run a variety of both Internationally (FIDE) and Nationally (ACF) rated tournaments with time controls to suit all players (Lightning/Rapid/Classical). The first Monday of each month will be a FIDE rated Blitz tournament (5min, no increment).
There are also fun tournaments such as Fischer Random, Thematic Positions/Gambits, and Handicapped.
Additionally from time to time we host IMs/GMs who provide a Chess Masterclass designed on helping all players improve their game.
The Sydney Chess Club is a great place to improve your Chess for many reasons:
- You will regularly be playing at or above your current level
- Players regularly share tips and ideas in post-game analysis
- Players are happy to answer questions and give recommendations on how to improve your game
- Thematic Position / Gambit tournaments comes with a free 5 minute lecture on each Position/Gambit with the sole aim of broadening a player's repertoire and knowledge of the game.
The Sydney Chess Club is open to all players (juniors and adults) at all levels; however it is highly recommended that juniors obtain a 400 JCL at minimum before joining.
Sydney Academy of Chess
Level 1, 30a George St, Burwood, NSW
Mondays 7:30pm - 10:00pm. First official games usually 7:40pm.
Note - Players will be denied entry to the building before 7pm.
The annual membership fee is:
- $5 for juniors and retirees
- $10 for all other players
Note: Adult players choosing to play in our rated events will also need to join the NSWCA - See www.nswca.org.au
Similarly junior players will need to be members of the NSWJCL.
- Lightning Tournaments cost $5, Rapids cost $10
- Classic Tournaments cost $20.
All Non-Members will be charged an additional $5 per tournament.
Any interested chess player is welcome to check out our club on Monday nights. Just come in around 19:30 and we will match you up for a (trial) game.
You can send an email first to firstname.lastname@example.org